India - Bihar & Jharkhand (PDF Chapter)
This is the Bihar & Jharkhand chapter from Lonely Planet’s India guidebook.
This whole region is off the beaten track. Outside Bodhgaya, foreign tourists are almost non-existent, so if you’re looking to sidestep mainstream travel, and especially if you have an interest in Buddhism, this rustic pocket of India could be an unexpected highlight.
- witness Buddhists from around the world praying and meditating at Bodhgaya, the serene site of Buddha’s enlightenment
- get up at 4am for the surreal day-long Jain pilgrimage to the top of Jharkhand’s tallest peak, Parasnath Hill
- visit the peaceful ruins of the once-huge ancient university of Nalanda
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Bihar, Patna & Around, Raxaul, Gaya, Bodhgaya, Rajgir, Nalanda, Jharkhand, Ranchi, Betla (Palamau) National Park.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.