Iceland - The Highlands (PDF Chapter)
This is the Highlands chapter from Lonely Planet’s Iceland guidebook.
The interior highlands’ undulating multi-coloured lava flows, creeping glaciers, seething vol-canos, and vast, unbroken horizons of sand, rock and mountain feel like another world. Gazing across the unspoilt, remote expanses, you could imagine yourself, as many have noted, on the moon or Mars.
- hike across the lava field, drink in Askja’s caldera views, then soak in the waters of Víti crater
- investigate hiking trails around Kerlingarfjöll’s majestic massif and its striated geothermal valley
- paye homage to the Queen of the Mountains, Herðubreið
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Kjölur Route, Hvítárvatn, Kerlingarfjöll, Hveravellir, Sprengisandur Route, Laugafell, Nýidalur, Þórisvatn, Veiðivötn, Hrauneyjar, Askja Route, Herðubreiðarlindir, Herðubreið, Drekagil, Askja, Holuhraun, Kverkfjöll Route, Kverkfjöll.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.