Iceland - Southwest Iceland & the Golden Circle (PDF Chapter)
This is the Southwest Iceland & the Golden Circle chapter from Lonely Planet’s Iceland guidebook.
The Golden Circle – a tourist route comprising three famous sights: Þingvellir, Geysir and Gullfoss – draws the largest crowds outside of Reykjavík, but visit during off-hours or venture into the wilderness and you’ll find quiet hiking routes and otherworldly scenes.
- walk between the continental plates and through the historic former parliament in Þingvellir National Park
- marvel at black basalt columns, sea stacks and rocky buttes at Reynisfjara near buzzy Vík
- camp in a lush kingdom surrounded by brooding glaciers at Þórsmörk
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Reykjanes Peninsula, Blue Lagoon, Keflavík & Njarðvík (Reykjanesbær), Northwestern Reykjanes, Southwestern Reykjanes, Grindavík, Rey-kjanesfólkvangur Reserve, The Golden Circle, Þingvellir National Park, Laugarvatn, Geysir, Gullfoss & Around, Hvítá River Valley (Gullfoss to Selfoss), The South, Hveragerði & Around, Þorlákshöfn, Eyrarbakki, Stokkseyri, Flóahreppur, Selfoss, Western Þjórsárdalur, Eastern Þjórsárdalur, Hella & Around, Hvolsvöllur & Around, Skógar & Around, Landmannalaugar, Laugavegurinn Hike: Landmannalaugar to Þórsmörk, Þórsmörk, Skógar & Around, Vík & Around, Vestmannaeyjar, Heimaey.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.