Iceland - North Iceland (PDF Chapter)
This is the North Iceland chapter from Lonely Planet’s Iceland guidebook.
Iceland’s mammoth and magnificent north is a geologist’s heaven. A wonderland of moonlike lava fields, belching mudpots, epic waterfalls, snowcapped peaks and whale-filled bays – this is Iceland at its best. There are endless treats to uncover.
- discover northern Iceland’s version of urban living in Akureyri, the country’s second city
- cross Iceland’s only slice of the Arctic Circle on the bird-filled and troll-infested island of Grímsey
- wander around lava castles and pseudo-craters before a soak at the Nature Baths in Mývatn
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Eastern Húnaflói, Hrútafjörður, Hvammstangi, Vatnsnes Peninsula, Blönduós, Western Skagafjörður, Varmahlíð, Öxnadalur, Sauðárkrókur, North of Sauðárkrókur, Tröllaskagi, Hólar í Hjaltadalur, Hofsós, Siglufjörður, Ólafsfjörður, Dalvík, Akureyri & Around, Goðafoss, Mývatn Region, Reykjahlíð, Eastern Mývatn, Southern Mývatn, Western Mývatn, Northern Mývatn, Krafla, Möðrudalur & Around, Húsavík, Jökulsárgljúfur (Vatnajökull National Park – North), Ásbyrgi, Vesturdalur, Dettifoss, Northeast Circuit, Kópasker, Raufarhöfn, Rauðanes, Þórshöfn, Langanes and Vopnafjörður & Around.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.
Nova Scotia, New Brunswick & Prince Edward Island - Newfoundland & Labrador (PDF Chapter)