Hong Kong - Understand Hong Kong and Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)
All the info you need on everything from history, arts and cinema to flights, public transport, climate, money, the internet... you name it. Get tips for travellers with disabilities and get the most out of your conversations with a handy language guide and glossary.
- a rundown on how the grave of the Song dynasty’s sunset emperors rose to become one of the world’s richest cities
- info on the arts; the city’s cultural landscape is lusher than ever
- full coverage of Hong Kong’s film industry which has entranced and entertained the world in equal measure
- details of Hong Kong’s architecture; beyond the shiny facade of skyscrapers, an endearing jumble of styles, eras and influences beckon
Coverage includes: Hong Kong Today, History: Early Inhabitants, The Five Great Clans, An Imperial Outpost, Arrival of the Outer Barbarians, The First Opium War & British Hong Kong, Growing Pains, A Sleepy Backwater, The Road to Boomtown, A Society in Transition, The 1997 Question, One Country, Two Systems, Tiān’ānmén & Its Aftermath, Democracy & the Last Governor, hong Kong Post-1997, The Clamour for Democracy, A Changed City?, Arts: Art, Music, Theatre and Literature, Cinema: Martial Arts, New Wave, International Acclaim, Tough Times & New Directions, Film Festivals & Awards, Hong Kong In Film, Architecture: Heritage Preservation, Traditional Chinese Architecture, East-Meets-West Architecture, Colonial Architecture, Contemporary Architecture and Distinctively Urban Vistas, Religion & Belief: Early Influences, Confucianism, Buddhism, Taoism and Christianity, Transport, Directory A–Z and Language.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.