Hong Kong - Hong Kong Island: Aberdeen & the South (PDF Chapter)
This is the Hong Kong Island: Aberdeen & the South chapter from Lonely Planet’s Hong Kong guidebook.
The southern district is not only a showcase of history – Pok Fu Lam has the island’s last surviving village alongside vestiges of a Victorian dairy – but Aberdeen and Ap Lei Chau are also the homes of Hong Kong’s boat-dwelling fishermen.
- watch the goings-on onboard moored boats along Aberdeen Promenade then hop on a sampan to cross the typhoon shelter the way it was done decades ago
- gorge on seafood without busting a hole in your pocket in Aberdeen or Ap Lei Chau Market Cooked Food Centre
- revisit a time in Hong Kong history when French missionaries crossed paths with dairy cowboys and a fire dragon in Pok Fu Lam
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Explore: Aberdeen & the South, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Shopping and Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.