Hiking & Tramping in New Zealand - Tongariro, Te Urewera & Central North Island (PDF Chapter)
Tongariro, Te Urewera & Central North Island
This is the Tongariro, Te Urewera & Central North Island chapter from Lonely Planet's Hiking & Tramping in New Zealand guidebook.
Few regions offer such an overwhelming sense of raw wilderness as the North Island’s central strip of volcanoes and dense forest. For trampers, Tongariro calls like a siren, drawing tens of thousands of people each year across the track that’s almost universally acclaimed as the best day walk in the country.
- loop New Zealand’s most spectacular volcano on the Tongariro Northern Circuit
- follow a remote circuit of the bluff-lined Lake Waikaremoana
- tramp through a volcanic wonderland on Tongariro Alpine Crossing
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Tongariro National Park, Tongariro Northern Circuit, Tongariro Alpine Crossing, Te Urewera, Lake Waikaremoana Great Walk.
You are viewing a Walking guideWhat is a Walking guide?
Whether you’re a keen hiker or a beginner, passionate about exploring the highest mountains or hills, these series will help you explore some of the world’s most spectacular places. Look no further for understanding and experiencing these majestic places and the people who call them home.
- Inspirational images and contour trail maps
- detailed trail coverage and recommendations from our expert authors
- packing checklist
- top itineraries to help you plan the perfect trip