Hiking & Tramping in New Zealand - Taranaki, Whanganui & Around Wellington (PDF Chapter)
This is the Taranaki, Whanganui & Around Wellington chapter from Lonely Planet's Hiking & Tramping in New Zealand guidebook.
Trampers often overlook the southern half of the North Island, but the tracks across these regions are well established and diverse, from alpine, lowland, wetland and forest. Most are also lightly used, which means solitude is pretty much guaranteed.
- wander in the isolated wilderness along the Matemateaonga Track
- stay in scenic huts and admire alpine views on the Mt Holdsworth–Jumbo Circuit
- circumambulate a stunning volcano on the Pouakai Circuit
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Egmont National Park, Pouakai Circuit, Pouakai Crossing, Around the Mountain Circuit, Mt Taranaki Summit, Whanganui National Park, Matemateaonga Track, Mangapurua & Kaiwhakauka Tracks, Ruahine Forest Park, Rangiwahia & Deadmans Loop, Tararua Forest Park, Mt Holdsworth–Jumbo Circuit, Holdsworth-Kaitoke Track, Towns & Facilities: New Plymouth, Stratford, Whanganui, Palmerston North, Masterton, Wellington.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.