Hiking & Tramping in New Zealand - Taranaki & Southern North Island (PDF Chapter)
This is the Taranaki & Southern North Island chapter from Lonely Planet's Hiking & Tramping in New Zealand guidebook.
Like the central North Island, tramping here is dominated by a spectacular volcano – Mt Taranaki. The mountain is laced with tramping routes, from a contender for the title of NZ’s best day hike, to a lap around the volcano and a summit climb.
- stroll to alpine heights on the Sunrise Track
- find lofty huts and high alpine ridges on the Mt Holdsworth–Jumbo Circuit
- hike through a unique wetland for wicked volcano views on the Pouakai Circuit
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes:Egmont National Park, Around the Mountain Circuit, Pouakai Circuit, Pouakai Crossing, Mt Taranaki Summit, Ruahine Forest Park, Sunrise Track, Tararua Forest Park, Mt Holdsworth–Jumbo Circuit, Cape Palliser, Putangirua Pinnacles Towns & Facilities: New Plymouth, Napier, Palmerston North, Masterton, Wellington.
You are viewing a Walking guideWhat is a Walking guide?
Whether you’re a keen hiker or a beginner, passionate about exploring the highest mountains or hills, these series will help you explore some of the world’s most spectacular places. Look no further for understanding and experiencing these majestic places and the people who call them home.
- Inspirational images and contour trail maps
- detailed trail coverage and recommendations from our expert authors
- packing checklist
- top itineraries to help you plan the perfect trip