Hiking & Tramping in New Zealand - Fiordland & Stewart Island/Rakiura (PDF Chapter)
This is the Fiordland & Stewart Island/Rakiura chapter from Lonely Planet's Hiking & Tramping in New Zealand guidebook.
Welcome to the deep-green deep south, home to one of New Zealand’s finest outdoor treasures – Fiordland National Park. At 12,607 sq km it is the country’s largest national park and one of the largest in the world, and makes up half of Te Wahipounamu – South West New Zealand World Heritage Area. Synonymous with waterfalls, lakes and fiords, superlatives can’t describe its scenery.
- experience lush rainforests, an alpine pass and waterfalls on the Milford Track, the ‘finest walk in the world’
- spend a full day surrounded by alpine beauty on the Kepler Track
- follow sheltered shores to beautiful beaches on the Rakiura Track
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Fiordland National Park, Milford Track, Hollyford Track, Kepler Track, Hump Ridge Track, Stewart Island/Rakiura, Rakiura Track, North West Circuit, Towns & Facilities: Te Anau, Tuatapere, Invercargill, Oban.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.
Hiking & Tramping in New Zealand - Mt Aspiring National Park & Around Queenstown (PDF Chapter)
Hiking & Tramping in New Zealand - Understand New Zealand & Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)