Hiking & Tramping in New Zealand - Canterbury, Arthur’s Pass & Aoraki/Mt Cook (PDF Chapter)
This is the Canterbury, Arthur’s Pass & Aoraki/Mt Cook chapter from Lonely Planet's Hiking & Tramping in New Zealand guidebook.
The trails of this region offer a diverse range of tramping experiences – taking in farmland, high country, regenerating and native forest, waterfalls and achievable climbs to peaks that will make you feel like you’re on top of the world.
- take in wonderful seascapes and wildlife on the private Banks Peninsula Track
- climb high above Arthur’s Pass on Avalanche Peak, the South Island’s most scenic day tramp
- ascend steeply to spend a night among the stunning peaks of Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park on the Mueller Hut Route
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Banks Peninsula Track, Mt Somers Track, St James Walkway, Arthur’s Pass National Park, Avalanche Peak, Goat Pass Track, Harper Pass, Cass-Lagoon Saddles Track, Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park, Mueller Hut Route, Towns & Facilities: Christchurch, Akaroa, Methven, Hanmer Springs, Arthur’s Pass, Mt Cook Village.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.