Hawai'i the Big Island - Understand Hawai'I, the Big Island and Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)
This chapter contains the Hawaiʻi, the Big Island Today, History, People of the Big Island, Hawaiian Arts & Crafts, Lei, Landscapes & Wildlife, Directory A–Z and Transportation chapters from Lonely Planet’s Hawai‘i, the Big Island guidebook.
All the info you need on everything from history, people, arts & crafts, to flights, public transport, climate, money, the internet... you name it. Get tips for women travellers, gay and les-bian travellers, travellers with disabilities, and travellers with kids. And get the most out of your conversations with a handy language guide and glossary.
- a rundown on the people of the Big Island
- info on the island’s dramatic landscapes and fascinating wildlife
- full coverage of the epic story of Hawaii’s discovery
- details on the art and traditions of the lei
Coverage includes: Hawaiʻi, the Big Island Today, History, People of the Big Island, Hawaiian Arts & Crafts, Lei, Landscapes & Wildlife, Directory A–Z and Transporta-tion.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.