Hawai'i the Big Island - Mauna Kea & Saddle Road (PDF Chapter)
You won’t find much on the grassy lava-strewn plains between the massive shoulders of Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea, except for overwhelming scenery and an acute sense of your own insignificance.
- stand among the giants of astronomy at Mauna Kea Summit, contemplating your own rela-tionship with the heavens
- inspect the inner workings of Subaru Telescope, a gargantuan precision instrument
- pay respects to the Hawaiian gods of the earth and sky at the Hawaiian Islands’ piku (na-vel), Lake Waiʻau.
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Mauna Kea Webcams, Mauna Kea, Saddle Road.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation