Hawai'i the Big Island - Ka'u (PDF Chapter)
Much of Kaʻu, the southernmost district in Hawaiʻi, feels comfortably stuck in the mid 20th-century. Old plantation towns fringe a sparse wind-swept coastal zone along the deep blue Pacific – the longest uninhabited coastline on the island.
- plunge off the edge of the earth into South Point’s crystal-blue waters teeming with fish
- explore Kaʻu’s rich cultural heritage and astounding ecological diversity on an excellent ranger-led hike around Kahuku
- dig your toes into the inky black sands of Punaluʻu at a respectful distance from nesting sea turtles
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Best Places to Stroll, Pahala, Punaluʻu, Naʻalehu, South Point (Ka Lae), Ocean View & Around, Kahuku Unit.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.