Hawai'i the Big Island - Hilo (PDF Chapter)
Kailua-Kona may host more visitors, but Hilo is the beating heart of Hawai‘i Island. Hidden beneath its daily drizzle lies deep soil and soul, from which sprout a genuine community and aloha spirit.
- stroll through serene Japanese gardens of Lili‘uokalani Park
- learn about the two historical tsunami that tested Hilo’s mettle at the Pacific Tsunami Mu-seum
- meet Bengal tigers and other fascinating creatures amid tropical flora at Pana‘ewa Rain-forest Zoo & Gardens
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Best for Children, History, Hiking & Cycling Around Hilo, Sights, Activities, Tours, Courses, Festivals & Events, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Enter-tainment, Shopping.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation