Guatemala - The Highlands (PDF Chapter)
This is the Highlands chapter from Lonely Planet’s Guatemala guidebook.
The highlands – El Altiplano – stretch from Antigua to the Mexican border, and is Guatemala’s most breathtaking region by some degree. Most travelers spend a spell at the dizzyingly beautiful Lago de Atitlán, an azure lake dramatically ringed by volcanoes.
- take yoga classes by the sublime volcano-fringed waters of Lago de Atitlán in San Marcos La Laguna
- hike volcanoes and learn Spanish in San Pedro La Laguna, one of Central America’s back-packer hubs
- shop for huipiles and a hundred other souvenirs at colorful Chichicastenango
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Lago de Atitlán, Panajachel & Around, Santiago Atitlán, San Pedro La Laguna, San Juan La Laguna, San Marcos La Laguna, Jaibalito, Santa Cruz La La-guna, Tzununá, Quiché, Chichicastenango, Santa Cruz Del Quiché, Uspantán, Nebaj, Chajul, Acul, Western Highlands, Quetzaltenango & Around, Huehuetenango & Around.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation