Guatemala - El Peten (PDF Chapter)
This is the El Petén chapter from Lonely Planet’s Guatemala guidebook.
Vast, sparsely populated and jungle-covered, Guatemala’s largest and northernmost depart-ment is a wonderland of exploration. Whether it’s the mysteries of the Classic Maya, the bounty of the jungle, or the chance to lounge lakeside that inspires you, it’s all here in abundance.
- explore the vast ancient city of Tikal at sunset, sunrise, or any time in between
- trek through the jungle to the huge, though still scarcely excavated, Maya ruin of El Mira-dor
- awaken to the sound of howler monkeys and herons in idyllic Laguna Petexbatún
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Sayaxché & Around, Flores & Santa Elena, San Miguel & Tayazal, San José & San Andrés, El Remate, Melchor de Mencos, Tikal, Uaxactún, Yaxhá, Parque Nacional Laguna del Tigre, El Mirador.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.