Greek Islands - Dodecanese (PDF Chapter)
This is the Dodecanese chapter from Lonely Planet’s Greek Islands guidebook.
Ever pined for the old Greece, where timeless islands beckon modern-day adventurers just as they did Odysseus and Alexander? Enter the far-flung Dodecanese archipelago, curving through the southeastern Aegean parallel to the ever-visible shoreline of Turkey.
- enter Nisyros’ fabled volcano, home to an imprisoned Titan
- wander beneath Byzantine arches and along ancient cobbled alleyways in Rhodes Old Town
- hike or birdwatch on postcard-perfect island Tilos
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Rhodes, Rhodes Town, Northeastern Rhodes, Lindos, Southeastern Rhodes, Western Rhodes & the Interior, Halki & Around, Emborios, Karpathos, Pi-gadia, Southern Karpathos, Diafani, Kasos & Around, Fry, Kastellorizo, Kastellorizo Village, Symi & Around, Gialos, Tilos, Livadia, Megalo Horio, Northwest Tilos, Nisyros & Around, Mandraki, Kos, Kos Town & Around, Kamari & Kefalos Bay, Astypalea, Pera Gialos & Around, Hora, Livadi, Kalymnos, Pothia, Western Kalymnos, Telendos Islet, Leros, Platanos & Agia Marina, Pandeli, Vromolithos, Lakki, Xirokambos, Krithoni & Alinda, Patmos, Skala & Around, Hora, Lipsi, Lipsi Village & Around.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation