Greek Islands - Crete (PDF Chapter)
This is the Crete chapter from Lonely Planet’s Greek Islands guidebook.
Crete is the culmination of the Greek experience. There’s something undeniably artistic in the way its landscape unfolds, from the sun-drenched beaches in the north to the rugged canyons spilling out at the cliff-lined southern coast.
- rub shoulders with Europe’s oldest civilisation, the ancient Minoans, at the Palace of Knossos
- get lost in Rethymno’s charismatic jumble of Venetian buildings sprinkled with exotic features from the Ottoman period
- marvel at the treasures unearthed during the excavation of ancient sites on the island at Iraklio Archaeological Museum
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Iraklio Province, Iraklio, Knossos, Iraklio Wine Country, Zaros, Matala, Hersonisos, Rethymno Province, Rethymno & Around, Hania Province, Hania, Kissamos & Around, Imbros Gorge, Southern Coast, Lasithi Province, Agios Nikolaos & Around, Mohlos, Sitia & Around, Zakros & Kato Zakros, Ierapetra, Myrtos, Lasithi Plateau.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.