Great Smoky Mountains National Park - North Carolina Mountains (PDF Chapter)
This is the North Carolina Mountains chapter from Lonely Planet’s Great Smoky Moun-tains National Park guidebook.
Towering along the skyline of western North Carolina, the mighty Appalachian Mountains hold several distinct subranges, among which the Great Smoky, Blue Ridge, Pisgah and Black Mountain ranges are especially dramatic.
- ride horses or bicycles through the rim-edge forest of a spectacular high mountain lake in Tsali Recreation Area
- learn about the history and heritage of North Carolina’s original Native American peoples at the Museum of the Cherokee Indian
- slither down slippery river rocks to splash into refreshing mountain pools at Sliding Rock Recreational Area
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: High Country, Blowing Rock, Boone, Asheville, West-ern North Carolina, Cherokee, Bryson City, Pisgah National Forest, Brevard, Nantahala National Forest.
You are viewing a National Parks guideWhat is a National Parks guide?
Whether you’re a keen hiker or a beginner, passionate about exploring national parks or perhaps visiting your first, these series will help you explore some of the world’s most spectacular areas of natural beauty.
- Over 65 full-color trail and park maps and full-color images throughout
- Detailed information and guidance on a wealth of hikes and treks
- Comprehensive planning tools and National Park driving tours
- National Park activity guide, from canoeing and fishing to mountain biking
- Special features on National Park history, geology, wildlife and conservation