Great Britain's Best Trips - Lake District & Northern England (PDF Chapter)
Inspiration landscapes deliver inspirational drives and this swathe of northern England has long been a muse to many. Wordsworth, the Brontës and Beatrix Potter all drew on its natural splendour, and every bend in the road still reveals extraordinary views.
- discover literary links a-plenty, England’s highest hill and utterly unforgettable views
- pick the right route with inspirational images and key trip highlights
- enjoy a classy spa town and thrilling climbs up England’s most spectacular roads
- get around easily with colour maps and route directions in easy stages
- travel an evocative, fort-studded route tracing the length of unique Roman remains
- discover even more with discover even more with walking tours, detours and ways to link your trips
Coverage includes: Bowness-on-Windermere, Ambleside, Great Langdale, Grasmere, Keswick, Borrowdale & Buttermere, Cockermouth, Whinlatter Forest Park, Wasdale, St Bees Head, Eskdale, Hardknott Pass & Wyrnose Pass, Consiton, Hill Top, Hawkshead, Ullswater, Grizedale Forest, Harrogate, Grassington, Arncliffe, Malham, Skipton, Ingleton, Hawes, Tan Hill Inn, Richmond, York, Castle Howard, Helmsley, Rievaulx Abbey, Danby, Goathland, Whitby, Robin Hood’s Bay, Scarborough, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Segedunum, Corbridge, Hexham, Chesters Roman Fort & Museum, Housesteads Roman Fort & Museum, Vindolanda, Roman Army Museum, Birdoswald Roman Fort, Carlisle, Newcastle, Angel of the North, Tynemouth, Newbiggin-by-the-Sea, Amble, Warkworth, Alnwick, Chillingham Castle, Craster, Low Newton-by-the-Sea, Bamburgh, Farne Islands, Holy Island (Lindisfarne), Berwick-upon-Tweed and York Walking Tour.