Great Britain - The Lake District & Cumbria (PDF Chapter)
This is the Lake District & Cumbria chapter from Lonely Planet’s Great Britain guidebook.
For natural splendour, nowhere in England compares to the Lake District. For centuries, po-ets, painters and perambulators alike have flocked here in search of inspiration and escape, and it’s still the nation’s favourite place to revel in the majesty of the English landscape.
- climb to the summit of Scafell Pike, England’s highest mountain
- spot the inspirations for Beatrix Potter’s tales at Hill Top
- cruise Coniston Water in stately 19th-century style on the Steam Yacht Gondola
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: The Lake District, Windermere & Around, Ambleside, Grasmere, Hawkshead, Coniston, Elterwater & Great Langdale, Wasdale, Cockermouth, Keswick, Borrowdale, Buttermere, Ullswater & Around, Kendal, Cumbrian Coast, Northern & Eastern Cumbria, Carlisle, Penrith.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation