Great Britain - Newcastle & Northeast England (PDF Chapter)
This is the Newcastle & Northeast England chapter from Lonely Planet’s Great Britain guidebook.
The irrepressible city of Newcastle-upon-Tyne anchors England’s northeast. Set on the mighty River Tyne, this former industrial powerhouse’s steep hills are lined with handsome Victorian buildings and Newcastle’s nightlife is legendary, and revel in an evening on the tiles.
- explore Victoria Tunnel, a coal-wagon tunnel and WWII air-raid shelter beneath Newcastle’s streets
- stargaze from the Kielder Observatory in the Northumberland International Dark Sky Park
- negotiate the tidal causeway to reach the other-worldly pilgrimage site, Holy Island (Lindisfarne)
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Tynemouth, Durham, Barnard Castle, Hadrian’s Wall, Northumberland National Park and Northumberland Coast.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.