Great Britain - Inverness & the Northern Highlands & Islands (PDF Chapter)
This is the Inverness & the Northern Highlands & Islands chapter from Lonely Planet’s Great Britain guidebook.
Scotland’s vast and melancholy soul is here, in an epic landscape whose stark beauty im-prints the hearts of those who journey through it. Mist, peat, rock, heather…and long, sunblessed summer evenings that repay the occasional days of horizontal rain.
- explore the woods and mountains around gorgeous Glen Lyon
- dip your toes in the water at the beautiful beaches of South Harris in the Western Isles
- shoulder the challenge of the Cuillin Hills, brooding over the skyscape of Skye
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Best Places to Sleep, Inverness & the Great Glen, In-verness, Around Inverness, Loch Ness, The Cairngorms, Aviemore, Around Aviemore, Kingussie & Newtonmore, Royal Deeside, Highland Perthshire, Dunkeld & Birnam, Pitlochry, Blair Castle, Lochs Tummel & Rannoch, Loch Tay, West Highlands, Glen Coe, Glencoe Village, Fort William, Around Fort William, Road to the Isles, East Coast, Dornoch, Dunrobin Castle, Caithness, Lybster & Around, Wick, John O’Groats, Dunnet Head, Thurso & Scrabster, North & West Coast, Thurso to Durness, Durness, Durness to Ullapool, Ullapool, Ullapool to Kyle of Lochalsh, Kyle of Loch-alsh, Eilean Donan Castle, Skye, Broadford (An T-Ath Leathann), Armadale & Sleat, Cuillin Hills, Portree (Port Righ), Dunvegan (Dun Bheagain) & Around, Trotternish, Outer Hebrides, Lewis (Leodhais), Harris (Na Hearadh), Berneray (Bearnaraigh), North Uist (Uibhist A Tuath), South Uist (Uibhist A Deas), Barra (Barraigh), Orkney, Kirkwall, East Mainland to South Ronaldsay, Maes Howe & Around, Skara Brae, Stromness, Hoy, Northern Islands, Shetland, Lerwick, Sumburgh, The North Isles, When to Go.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.