Grand Tour of Italy Road Trips - Roaming Around Rome Trip (PDF Chapter)
This is the Roaming Around Rome chapter from Lonely Planet’s Grand Tour of Italy Road Trips guidebook.
While Rome (Roma) hogs the limelight, the area around the capital is a real eye-opener, with verdant scenery and thrilling cultural treasures – haunting ancient ruins, hilltop villas and landscaped Renaissance gardens.
- explore the remnants of Villa Adriana, Hadrian’s lavish country residence
- pick the right route with inspirational images and key trip highlights
- stroll past fountains, frescoes and landscaped gardens in Tivoli
- get around easily with colour maps and route directions in easy stages
- join Roman day trippers in Frascati for fine food, wine and ancient artefacts
- discover even more with detours and ways to link your trips
Coverage includes: Ostia Antica, Castel Gandolfo, Frascati, Palestrina, Villa Adriana, Tivoli, Rome, Naples, Mt Vesuvius and Pompeii.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.