Germany - Saxony (PDF Chapter)
This is the Saxony chapter from Lonely Planet’s Germany guidebook.
Placed where northern plains abut mountain ranges and German efficiency meets Slavic flam-boyance, packed with elegant hilltop castles and lavish baroque palaces, Saxony is the definition of Central Europe.
- take in the stunning baroque silhouette of Dresden’s Altstadt (old town) and the elegant curve of the Elbe from the Residenzschloss
- clamber up a steep slope to Schrammsteine for gob-smacking panoramas of Saxon Switzer-land and the Elbe.
- get blinded by the dazzle of Saxon rulers’ treasures at the Grünes Gewölbe
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Dresden & Around, Meissen, Saxon Switzerland, Bastei, Königstein, Bad Schandau, Leipzig & Western Saxony, Leipzig, Chemnitz, Freiberg, East-ern Saxony, Görlitz, Zittau, Bautzen, Herrnhut.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation