Germany, Austria & Switzerland's Best Trips - Switzerland (PDF Chapter)
This is the Switzerland Trips chapter from Lonely Planet’s Germany, Austria and Switzerland Best Trips guidebook.
Dazzling outdoor scenery and chocolate-box chalets combine with local traditions, cosmopolitan cities and smooth infrastructure in Switzerland, making it easy to dive into its heart on these road trips.
- see the greatest of the great outdoors in the Swiss Alps: perfect peaks, gorgeous glaciers and verdant valleys
- pick the right route with inspirational images and key trip highlights
- admire architectural marvels and epic water features in oft-overlooked northern Switzerland
- get around easily with colour maps and route directions in easy stages
- savour a glorious lake, stunning vineyards, enchanting villages and fairy-tale castles around Lake Geneva & Western Switzerland
- discover even more with walking tours, detours and ways to link your trips
Coverage includes: St Gallen, Appenzell, Schloss Arenenberg, Stein am Rhein, Schaffhausen, Rheinfall, Basel, Ligerz, Nyon, Château de Prangins, Lausanne, Lavaux, Vinorama, Montreux, Château de Chillon, Peak Walk by Tissot, Gruyères, Geneva, Fribourg, Interlaken, Bern, Emmental Region, Unesco Biosphere Entlebuch, Lucerne, Stanserhorn, Zürich, Arosa, Vals, Disentis Abbey, Andermatt, Engelberg, Giessbachfälle, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Schilthorn, Kandersteg, Aletsch Glacier, Zermatt, Chur, Bad Ragaz, Davos, Swiss National Park, Müstair, Zuoz, St Moritz, Sils-Maria, Via Mala, Lugano, Locarno, Bellinzona, St Gotthard Pass, Zurich Walking Tour and Geneva Walking Tour.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation