Germany, Austria & Switzerland's Best Trips - Austria (PDF Chapter)
This is the Austria Trips chapter from Lonely Planet’s Germany, Austria and Switzerland Best Trips guidebook.
Austria is a road-tripper’s fantasy land. Not only are there spectacular backdrops of spellbinding landscapes and storybook architecture, opportunities to get out and experience them abound.
- follow the Danube River as it flows through forests and vineyards
- pick the right route with inspirational images and key trip highlights
- walk through wildflower-filled pastures and savour local produce on the Tyrol & Vorarlberg route
- get around easily with colour maps and route directions in easy stages
- twist and turn along three of Austria’s most spectacular mountain passes on Grossglockner Road
- discover even more with walking tours, detours and ways to link your trips
Coverage includes: Passau, Engelhartszell an der Donau, Linz, St Florian, Mauthausen Memorial, Melk, Dürnstein, Krems an der Donau, Stift Göttweig, Vienna, Salzburg, Werfen, Lienz, Grossglockner High Alpine Road, Zell am See, Krimmler Wasserfälle, Gerlos Alpine Road, Zell am Ziller, Innsbruck, Silvretta High Alpine Road, Rappenlochschlucht, Bregenz, Feldkirch, Schoppernau, St Anton am Arlberg, Landeck, Starkenberger Biermythos, Stift Stams, Hall in Tirol, Kitzbühel, Petronell-Carnuntum, Rust, Schloss Esterházy, Burg Forchtenstein, Burg Lockenhaus, Burg Güssing, Schloss Riegersburg, Graz, St Gilgen, Mondsee, Unterach am Attersee, Kammer, Seeschloss Ort, Traunkirchen, Bad Ischl, St Wolfgang, Obertraun, Hallstatt, Burg Hochosterwitz, Klagenfurt, Velden am Wörthersee, Ossiacher See, Millstatt, Spittal an der Drau, Weissensee, Salzburg Walking Tour and Vienna Walking Tour.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.