Georgia & the Carolinas - Savannah & Coastal Georgia (PDF Chapter)
This is the Savannah & Coastal Georgia chapter from Lonely Planet’s Georgia & the Carolinas guidebook.
The region has a lost-in-time, almost Gothic, beauty; every corner seems to drip with sweat and Spanish moss, and the low whisper of the Atlantic is never far off. Fecund sea islands are lapped by salt tides and peppered with marshes, estuaries and mile upon mile of flat beach.
- devour a bucket of blue crab at the rare-find Sunbury Crab Company
- explore mysterious forests, expansive empty beaches and wilderness campgrounds on Cumberland Island
- experience Sapelo’s coastal wilderness at the Sapelo Island Birdhouses, tucked away amid the maritime woods and Spanish moss
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Savannah, Coastal Georgia, Brunswick, Cumberland Island & St Marys, St Simons Island, Jekyll Island, Sapelo Island.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation