Georgia & the Carolinas - North Georgia (PDF Chapter)
This is the North Georgia chapter from Lonely Planet’s Georgia & the Carolinas guidebook.
Elevation seekers should head to North Georgia, which sits at the southern end of the great Appalachian Range. Those mountains, and their surrounding foothills and upcountry, provide superb mountain scenery, as well as some decent wines and frothing rivers.
- feel the spray of the mighty Amicalola Falls, the Southeast’s tallest
- hike deep into the permit-only gorge floor of gorgeous, waterfall-peppered Tallulah Gorge State Park
- eat, drink and pledge devotion to the Georgia Bulldogs in the immensely cool, musically in-clined college town of Athens
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Athens, Dahlonega, Amicalola Falls State Park, Blue Ridge, Blairsville, Helen, Clayton, Tallulah Gorge State Park, Toccoa.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.