Georgia & the Carolinas - North Carolina Mountains (PDF Chapter)
This is the North Carolina Mountains chapter from Lonely Planet’s Georgia & the Caro-linas guidebook.
Towering along the skyline of western North Carolina, the mighty Appalachian Mountains hold several distinct subranges, among which the Great Smoky, Blue Ridge, Pisgah and Black Mountain ranges are especially dramatic; yet another photo opportunity lies around every bend.
- cruise the curves of America’s most majestic mountain highway, the Blue Ridge Parkway, at its finest in the fall
- raft the raging Nantahala River in North Carolina’s wild western mountains
- slither down slippery river rocks to splash into cooling mountain pools at Sliding Rock Recreation Area
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: High Country, Blowing Rock, Boone, Asheville, West-ern North Carolina, Cherokee, Bryson City, Pisgah National Forest, Brevard, Nantahala National Forest.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.