Georgia & the Carolinas - Great Smoky Mountains National Park (PDF Chapter)
This is the Great Smoky Mountains National Park chapter from Lonely Planet’s Georgia & the Carolinas guidebook.
Scenic drives and sun-dappled trails unfurl in the shadows of ancient peaks in this forested wonderland, where beauty, history and adventure collide. Part of the vast Appalachian chain, the Smokies are among the oldest mountains on the planet.
- enjoy panoramic views from Clingmans Dome, the highest point in the park
- hike America’s most fabled walk, the Appalachian Trail
- visit the rustic lodge at the summit of Mt LeConte
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Newfound Gap Road, Cades Cove, Cataloochee Valley & Balsam Mountain, Fontana Dam & Western North Carolina.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation