Georgia & the Carolinas - Coastal North Carolina (PDF Chapter)
This is the Coastal North Carolina chapter from Lonely Planet’s Georgia & the Caroli-nas guidebook.
On North Carolina’s 300-mile coastline you’ll find rugged, windswept barrier islands, Colonial villages once frequented by pirates, and laid-back beach towns full of locally owned ice-cream shops and mom-and-pop motels. Even the most touristy beaches have a small-town vibe.
- dive the waters of the Crystal Coast, home to more than 2000 sunken ships, from the Olympus Dive Center
- step back in time inside Fort Macon, a remarkable five-sided fort built in 1834, with 26 vaulted rooms, plus 360-degree views from its roof
- try true Southern-style farm-to-table cooking at the fine-dining Wilmington restaurant of Pinpoint
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Outer Banks, Manteo, Ocracoke Island, Crystal Coast, Beaufort, Wilmington.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.