Georgia & the Carolinas - Charleston & South Carolina (PDF Chapter)
This is the Charleston & South Carolina chapter from Lonely Planet’s Georgia & the Carolinas guidebook.
Moss-draped oaks. Stately mansions. Wide beaches. Rolling mountains. And an ornery streak as old as the state itself. Ah yes, South Carolina, where the accents are thicker and the traditions more dear.
- admire the historic beauty of Charleston, one of the US’s most hospitable cities
- fill up on seafood-centric, African-influenced eats
- lose yourself on the charming streets of the small Southern coastal town of Beaufort
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Charleston, Lowcountry, Mt Pleasant, Hilton Head Is-land, Charleston County Sea Islands, Beaufort, Parris Island, St Helena Island & Hunting Island, Myrtle Beach, Columbia, Congaree National Park, Upcountry, Greenville.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation