Georgia & the Carolinas - Augusta & South Georgia (PDF Chapter)
This is the Augusta & South Georgia chapter from Lonely Planet’s Georgia & the Caro-linas guidebook.
Driving through South Georgia’s expansive wide-open pastures, cotton fields and fruit farms is a chance to see the ‘Peach State’ in all its glory. Come for the region’s simple, warm coun-try-style hospitality, excellent barbecue and a number of underrated natural sights.
- spot alligators on a boat trip through the mysterious swampy waters of Okefenokee Nation-al Wildlife Refuge
- head to Jackson for some of the best smoked pork on the planet, paired with tangy barbe-cue sauce
- get your thrills in Columbus rafting on the Whitewater Express, the longest human-made urban white-water rafting experience in the world
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Augusta, Columbus, Senoia.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.