Georgia, Armenia & Azerbaijan - Azerbaijan (PDF Chapter)
This is the Azerbaijan chapter from Lonely Planet’s Georgia, Armenia & Azerbaijan guidebook.
Selling itself as the ‘Land of Fire’, Azerbaijan (Azərbaycan) is a tangle of contradictions and contrasts. Neither Europe nor Asia, it’s a nexus of ancient historical empires, but also a ‘new’ nation rapidly transforming itself with a super-charged gust of petro-spending.
- compare the grand stone architecture, medieval walled city centre and modernist tower skyline of Azerbaijan’s dynamic capital, Baku
- seek out an 18th-century palace, unforgettable caravanserai-hotel and picturesque Old Town in Şəki, cupped in beautiful wooded mountains
- take in stone- and bronze-age petroglyphs and a nearby ‘family’ of wonderfully weird mud volcanoes near Qobustan
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Understand Azerbaijan, Azerbaijan Today, History, Arts: Cinema, Literature, Music, Painting and Sculpture, Food & Drink, Directory A-Z, Baku (Bakı) & around, Abşeron Peninsula, Qobustan, Northern Azerbaijan, Quba & around, Northwestern Azerbaijan, İsmayıllı, Lahıc, Qəbələ, Şəki, Qax & İlisu, Zaqatala & Car, Balakən, Central Azerbaijan, Gəncə, Southern Azerbaijan, Biləsuvar, Lənkəran, Talysh Mountains and Astara.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.