France - Normandy (PDF Chapter)
This is the Normandy chapter from Lonely Planet’s France guidebook.
Normandy’s outsized role in Europe’s history is brought vividly to life by the spectacular and iconic island monastery of Mont St-Michel; the incomparable Bayeux Tapestry, and the transfixing cemeteries along the D-Day beaches, places of solemn pilgrimage.
- stroll among half-timbered houses and Gothic churches in Rouen’s old town
- travel back to 1066 with the Bayeux Tapestry, the world’s oldest comic strip
- ponder the price of freedom at the D-Day beaches and nearby war cemeteries
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Seine-Maritime, Rouen, Dieppe, Côte d’Albâtre, Le Havre, Calvados, Bayeux, D-Day Beaches, Caen, Deauville, Trouville-sur-Mer, Honfleur, Manche, Cherbourg, Mont St-Michel.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation