France - Lille, Flanders & the Somme (PDF Chapter)
This is the Lille, Flanders & the Somme chapter from Lonely Planet’s France guidebook.
Hauts-de-France (Upper France) is one of the country’s least heralded regions, but with dra-matic land and sea views, deeply rooted culture, culinary traditions that include freshly caught sea-food, age-old Flemish recipes and locally brewed beers, it competes with the best France has to offer.
- discover one of France’s finest collections of art in Lille, French Flanders’ engaging capi-tal
- marvel at Amiens’ breathtaking Gothic cathedral
- ramble along the spectacular, windswept coast facing the White Cliffs of Dover on the Côte d’Opale
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Lille, Flanders & Artois, Cassel, Arras, Lens, Côte d’Opale, Calais to Boulogne, Calais, Boulogne-sur-Mer, Le Touquet, Baie de Somme, Le Crotoy, St-Valery-sur-Somme, Somme Battlefields Memorials, Amiens, Compiègne, Laon.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.