France - French Alps & the Jura Mountains (PDF Chapter)
This is the French Alps & the Jura Mountains chapter from Lonely Planet’s France guidebook.
Rumbling across seven European countries, the Alps reach their maximum height in France, at Mont Blanc (4810m). Buckling northwest along the Swiss border are the less mighty Jura Moun-tains, where life unfolds along slower rhythms: winemaking, cross-country skiing and tinkling cow bells.
- feel your heart hammer from Chamonix’s high-altitude cable cars or the legendary Vallée Blanche
- thunder across Les Trois Vallées, the world’s biggest ski area, before frolicking in après-ski bars
- navigate the medieval lanes of Annecy – ‘Alpine Venice’ – towards its stately château
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Savoie, Chamonix, Megève/St-Gervais, Les Portes du Soleil, Évian-les-Bains, Annecy, Chambéry & Around, Les Trois Vallées, Val d’Isère, Parc National de la Vanoise, Dauphiné, Grenoble & Around, Les Deux Alpes, Alpe d’Huez, Bourg d’Oisans, Bri-ançon, The Jura Mountains, Besançon & Around, Belfort, Parc Naturel Régional du Haut-Jura.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation