France - Auvergne (PDF Chapter)
This is the Auvergne chapter from Lonely Planet’s France guidebook.
Two great green lungs of protected land define the Auvergne: westerly, mountainous Parc Na-turel Régional des Volcans d’Auvergne, and to its east Parc Naturel Régional Livradois-Forez, its picturesque villages lost amid woodlands and farms.
- survey the Puy de Dôme’s volcanic landscapes from the Panoramique train or on a guided crater hike
- road-trip between crumbling stone villages in the Gorges de l’Allier
- climb to a cave chapel, the Chapelle St-Michel d’Aiguilhe, for sublime Le Puy-en-Velay views
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Clermont-Ferrand & Around, Riom, Vichy, Pays d’Issoire, Parc Naturel Régional des Volcans d’Auvergne, Volvic, Puy de Dôme, Orcival, Col de Guéry, Le Mont-Dore, Monts du Cantal, Salers, Murol, Parc Naturel Régional Livradois-Forez, Thiers, La Chaise-Dieu, Le Puy-en-Velay.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation