Florence & Tuscany - Southern Tuscany (PDF Chapter)
This is the Southern Tuscany chapter from Lonely Planet’s Florence & Tuscany guidebook.
This is an intriguing part of Tuscany, home to wild scenery and evocative reminders of Italy’s Etruscan heritage. An embarrassment of natural riches takes you past wildlife-packed marshes and vine-covered slopes, from sandy beaches to snowy mountains, in just a few hours.
- hike, bike, horse ride and swim in wild and wonderful Parco Regionale della Maremma
- join the passeggiata (evening stroll) in one of Tuscany’s most magnificent piazzas in Mas-sa Marittima
- walk in the footsteps of Etruscans along the mysterious sunken roads known as vie cave in the Parco Archeologico ‘Città del Tufo’
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Alta Maremma, Massa Marittima, Monte Amiata, Vetu-lonia, Città del Tufo, Pitigliano, Sovana, Sorano, Bassa Maremma, Grosseto, Parco Regionale della Maremma, Orbetello, Monte Argentario.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation