Finland - Oulu, Kainuu & Koillismaa (PDF Chapter)
This is the Oulu, Kainuu & Koillismaa chapter from Lonely Planet’s Finland guidebook.
Stretching across Finland’s waist from the Gulf of Bothnia to the long Russian border, this broad swath of territory offers some of the nation’s most memorable outdoor experiences, from birdwatching and beachcombing in the west to skiing, canoeing and trekking in the east.
- view four-millennia-old rock art in Finland’s newest national park, Hossa National Park, with canyons, lakes and a wealth of activities, including scuba diving
- canoe river routes or trek the Karhunkierros trail through some of Finland’s finest wilder-ness scenery in Oulanka National Park
- creep into the evening forests around Kuusamo to spot brown bears
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Oulu & Around, Kajaani, Sotkamo, Kuhmo, Hossa, Kuusamo & Ruka, Juuma, Karhunkierros Trek & Oulanka National Park.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation