Finland - Lapland (PDF Chapter)
This is the Lapland chapter from Lonely Planet’s Finland guidebook.
Lapland casts a powerful spell: there’s something lonely and intangible here that makes it magical. The midnight sun, the Sámi peoples, the aurora borealis (Northern Lights) and roaming reindeer are all components of this – as is Santa Claus himself.
- hike the lonely wildernesses in Finland’s highlands around Kilpisjärvi in Fell Lapland
- dash through the snow pulled by a team of reindeer or huskies from the excellent Harriniva activities centre attached to the Arktinen Rekikoirakeskus (Arctic Sled-dog Centre) in Muonio
- sail on an ice-breaker, then sleep in Kemi’s ethereally beautiful snow castle, Lumilinna, in Kemi
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Southern Lapland, Kemi, Tornio, Rovaniemi & Around, Kemijärvi, Pyhä-Luosto, Fell Lapland, Ylläs, Levi, Muonio, Hetta, Pallas-Yllästunturi Na-tional Park, Kilpisjärvi, Northern Lapland, Sodankylä, Saariselkä, Around Saariselkä, Saariselkä Wilderness & Urho Kekkonen National Park, Ivalo, Nellim, Inari & Around, Lemmenjoki National Park.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation