Finland - Karelia (PDF Chapter)
This is the Karelia chapter from Lonely Planet’s Finland guidebook.
If you’re looking for wilderness, powerful history and the Finnish soul, your search starts here. Densely forested and gloriously remote, this is paradise for nature lovers. Bears and wolves roam freely across the Russian frontier, and animal hides allow visitors a close encounter.
- swoosh down the ski slopes in winter, or swoop above the tree line aboard the summer chairlift, in Koli National Park
- shoot Ruunaa’s rapids on a rubber raft
- cruise from Lappeenranta to the Karelian town of Vyborg
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: South Karelia, Lappeenranta, Imatra, North Karelia, Joensuu, Ilomantsi, Hattuvaara, Lake Pielinen, Koli National Park, Paalasmaa Island, Vuonislah-ti, Lieksa, Patvinsuo National Park, Ruunaa Recreation Area, Nurmijärvi District, Nurmes.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation