Europe on a Shoestring - Balkans (PDF Chapter)
This is the Balkans chapter from Lonely Planet’s Europe on a Shoestring guide-book.
The Balkans are an incredibly diverse and fast-changing slice of Europe, where the traces of the Habsburg and Ottoman Empires are never far away and the ancient and modern often coexist. Few people visit the Balkans without leaving in awe.
- stroll around Ljubljana, Slovenia’s tiny green capital
- admire fairy-tale Lake Bled with the Julian Alps as a backdrop
- explore Split’s mazelike Diocletian’s Palace, the living soul of Dalmatia’s great Adriatic port
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Slovenia, Ljubljana, Bled, Piran, Slovenia Survival Guide, Croatia, Zagreb, Rovinj, Split, Dubrovnik, Croatia Survival Guide, Bosnia & Hercegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Bosnia & Hercegovina Survival Guide, Montenegro, Budva, Kotor, Perast, Lovcen National Park, Cetinje, Montenegro Survival Guide, Albania, Tirana, Berat, Gjirokastra, Albania Survival Guide, Macedonia, Skopje, Ohrid, Pelister National Park, Macedonia Survival Guide, Serbia, Belgrade, Novi Sad, Niš, Serbia Survival Guide.
You are viewing a Shoestring guideWhat is a Shoestring guide?
Planning a big trip? On a Shoestring guidebooks are created with the budget- and value-conscious traveller in mind. Covering entire continents or very large regions, they’re chock-full of amazing sights and experiences, savvy tips and recommendations. The original Lonely Planet guidebook.
- Inspirational images, illustrated highlights, unrivalled local knowledge
- Help and advice for first-time and big-trip travellers
- Easy-to-use maps help you discover highlights and hidden gems
- Detailed pre-planning, itinerary information and budget advice