England - Understand England and Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)
All the info you need on everything from history: from Stonehenge to the challenges of the 21st century, to flights, public transport, climate, money, the internet... you name it. Get tips for gay and lesbian travellers and travellers with disabilities.
- a rundown on English food and drink: fish and chips or chicken tikka masala? Real ale or fine wine?
- info on England’s architecture, from ancient castles and cathedrals, to modern creations
- full coverage of Shakespeare, Wordsworth, Turner, the Angel of the North, the Beatles and James Bond
- details on where to see the football (aka soccer), rugby, cricket, tennis and more. You might even see England win.
Coverage includes: England Today: English or European, Divisions & Unions and Keep Calm & Carry On, History: Stone Age & Iron Age, The Romans, The Anglo-Saxons, The Vikings & Alfred the Great, 1066 & All That, Royal & Holy Squabbling, Plantagenet Progress, Houses of Lancaster & York, Dark Deeds in the Tower, Peace & Dissolution, The Elizabethan Age, United & Disunited Britain, The Return of the King, Empire Building, The Industrial Era, World War I, World War II, Swinging & Sliding, The Thatcher Years and New Labour, New Coalition, New Start, Food & Drink: Meals, Regional Specialities, Eating Out and Drinking in England, Architecture: Early Foundations, Bronze Age & Iron Age, The Roman Era, Medieval Masterpieces, Stately Homes of England, Victoriana, The Postwar Rebuild and Twenty-First Century, The English Landscape: Beaches, National Parks, Protected Areas, Wildlife and Environmental Issues, Arts: English Literature, Cinema, Pop & Rock Music, Painting & Sculpture and Theatre, Sporting England: Football (Soccer), Cricket, Horse Racing, Rugby and Tennis, Directory A–Z and Transport.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.