The Lake District & Cumbria (PDF Chapter)
This is the Lake District & Cumbria chapter from Lonely Planet’s England guidebook.
For natural splendour, nowhere in England compares to the Lake District. For centuries, poets, painters and perambulators alike have flocked here in search of inspiration and escape, and it’s still the nation’s favourite place to revel in the majesty of the English landscape.
- climb to the summit of Scafell Pike, England’s highest mountain
- spot the inspirations for Beatrix Potter’s tales at Hill Top
- cruise Coniston Water in stately 19th-century style on the Steam Yacht Gondola
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: The Lake District, Windermere & Around, Ambleside, Grasmere, Hawkshead, Coniston, Elterwater & Great Langdale, Wasdale, Cockermouth, Keswick, Borrowdale, Buttermere, Ullswater & Around, Kendal, Cumbrian Coast, Northern & Eastern Cum-bria, Carlisle, Penrith.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation