Birmingham & the Midlands (PDF Chapter)
This is the Birmingham & the Midlands chapter from Lonely Planet’s England guidebook.
In the Midlands, quintessentially English countryside – green valleys, stately homes and chocolate-box villages of wonky black-and-white timbered houses – mix with relics of centuries of industrial history, like the mills of Ironbridge and the Derwent Valley, and dynamic cities, including creative hub Birmingham.
- survey the buzzing city of Birmingham from its library’s rooftop ‘secret garden’
- hike, cycle or drive through England’s inaugural national park, the Peak District
- stroll the William the Conqueror–built castle walls overlooking the cathedral in this history-steeped Lincoln
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Birmingham, Warwickshire, Coventry, Kenilworth, Warwick, Stratford-upon-Avon, Staffordshire, Lichfield, Worcestershire, Worcester, Great Malvern, Herefordshire, Hereford, Ledbury, Ross-on-Wye, Shropshire, Shrewsbury, Ironbridge Gorge, Much Wenlock, Bridgnorth, Church Stretton, Bishop’s Castle, Ludlow, Nottinghamshire, Nottingham, Newark-on-Trent, Southwell, Lincolnshire, Lincoln, Boston, Stamford, Leicestershire, Leicester, Rutland, Derbyshire, Derby, Ashbourne, Matlock Bath, Chesterfield, Peak District, Buxton, Castle-ton, Derwent Reservoirs, Edale, Eyam, Bakewell.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation