Egypt - Nile Valley: Esna to Abu Simbel (PDF Chapter)
This is the Nile Valley: Esna to Abu Simbel chapter from Lonely Planet’s Egypt guidebook.
The Nile south of Luxor is increasingly hemmed in by the Eastern Desert, its banks lined with grand, well-preserved Graeco-Roman temples at Esna, Edfu and Kom Ombo, and its lush fields punctuated by palm-backed villages – it’s the ideal place to sail through on a Nile boat.
- take a boat out to the marvellous Temple of Isis at Philae
- sense the vanity of Ramses II in the awe-inspiring Great Temple of Abu Simbel
- see the unusual double Temple of Kom Ombo in the morning light
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Southern Upper Egypt, Esna, Al-Kab & Kom al-Ahmar, Edfu, Gebel Silsila, Kom Ombo, Aswan & around, Aswan Dam, Seheyl Island, Philae (Agilika Island), Aswan High Dam, Lower Nubia & Lake Nasser, Lake Nasser, Kalabsha, Beit al-Wali & Kertassi, Wadi as-Subua, Amada, Qasr Ibrim and Abu Simbel.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.