Ecuador & the Galapagos Islands - Quito (PDF Chapter)
This is the Quito chapter from Lonely Planet’s Ecuador & the Galápogos Islands guidebook.
High in the Andes, Quito is dramatically situated, squeezed between mountain peaks whose greenery is concealed by the afternoon mist. Houses creep partway up their slopes, and busy commercial thoroughfares lined with shops and choked with traffic turn into peaceful neighbor-hoods on Sundays.
- explore the cobblestone streets that crisscross the Old Town, one of South America’s finest colonial centers
- gaze at Oswaldo Guayasamín’s monumental paintings at the Capilla del Hombre, and visit his treasure-filled home
- ride an aerial tram up Volcán Pichincha for magnificent views over the Andean capital
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: History, Sights, Activities, Courses, Tours, Festivals & Events, Sleeping, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Around Quito.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation